Thursday, August 14, 2008

South Dakota's "Fair Share" and the "Powerful Appropriations Committe"

With amusement, I watched Sioux Falls Mayor Dave Munson become a major commercial star for Senator Tim Johnson. He seemed so natural beside a member of the "powerful Senate Appropriations Committee."

How could we live without Senator Tim Johnson?

Then I realized how symbolic it was for Mayor Munson to be thanking our master for taking care of us here in lowly South Dakota.

The subtle message is that you can't live without me because I give you money. So you better thank me. You need me. You won't have anything without me.

I thought about freedom and how quickly we can lose our independence. Mayor Munson has become dependent on others for his success. He can't do it without someone helping him. And he speaks for all people living in Sioux Falls. We can't live without Senator Johnson, either. We need the money.

So I began to think about how much money Senator Johnson has brought back to the state of South Dakota. Wouldn't it be nice if the press compiled a list of the money he brought back?

And shouldn't incumbent Senators declare the projects they fund as a campaign contribution from the taxpayers of this country?

I am sure the people at the Lewis and Clark Water Project are so thankful that we have an election year every two years. How difficult it was for Senator Johnson to get the money last year for the project, but coincidently, in the grand year of his election, the money just cruised through the Senate with ease.

Then I thought about how much every other Senator brings back to their state.

I thought about the process about how Senators must trade winks when they are trying to get money back to their state. If you have never driven through West Virginia, you should. They have the most beautiful bridges and highways in the world. Ironically, they are all named after Senator Robert Byrd, the leader of the "powerful Appropriations Committee."

Then I am reminded of the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis, and the thousands of bridges in our nation in a state of disrepair. I am reminded that Senators don't get credit for fixing bridges that need to be repaired, they get credit for new bridges for which they can take credit.

Yes, we bow down to Senator Tim Johnson for his creation of a dependence society. And we will blame him for not standing up to Senator Byrd and other Senators who have so broken the federal government that they are at a 9% approval rating and our country is on the brink of bankruptcy.

Senator Johnson, if you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem. And Mayor Munson reminds us of the problem.

No comments: