Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Torture Video Sparks Debate

I came about this video, 'Torturing Democracy,' from someone who really believes President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney deserve to face a war crimes tribunal.


It is worth the mental journey to watch the video and understand the torture arguments as this film lays out. By no means is it a fair documentary, as it only gives one side of the story, and only one side of the results, that forced cooperation, or as they call it, "torture" is very, very bad.

I hear from many who argue the "America is Good" argument, that torture brings down the American ideal. I guess I just don't know what rock they are living under. I wonder if they think about how we gather intelligence, how many people are killed by assassins associated with clandestine services of the United States government or our allies. I wonder if they really think America doesn't do some bad things to people once in a while.

I am certain that none of them have read any Vince Flynn novels. They should. I wonder if they would cheer when Mitch Rapp, the undercover CIA agent protagonist, uses several versions of forced cooperations to get timely information out of reluctant antagonists? After reading a few Flynn novels, I am more tempted to believe in the necessity of Mitch Rapp than the evils of "Torturing Democracy." 

But I only wish there was room under that rock for more of us so that more of us can be free from terror.

No comments: